About the series...
The Standards for Excellence® provide a framework for achieving a well-managed and responsibly governed organization. The Standards® build upon the legal foundations of nonprofit management, governance, and operations and provide an outstanding step-by-step guide to achieving excellence within your nonprofit. These guidelines consist of 6 principles, which are described in-depth during 6 individual sessions:
- Session 1, January 17, 2018: Mission, Strategy and Evaluation
- Session 2, March 21, 2018: Leadership - Board, Staff and Volunteers
- Session 3, May 16, 2018: Legal Compliance and Ethics
- Session 4, July 18, 2018: Finance and Operations
- Session 5, September 19, 2018: Resource Development
- Session 6, November 21, 2018: Public Awareness, Engagement and Advocacy
Each session includes an overview of The Standards®; a self-assessment to determine how well your organization is performing; a list of the policies that an organization should have in place; and examples of those policies and best practices that your organization should follow related to each topic area. These sessions will be highly interactive and will offer the opportunity for participants to share information and ask questions. Attendance at all sessions is not required, but encouraged.
About Session 1: Mission, Strategy and Evaluation...
Join The Nonprofit Partnership and Strategy Solutions for the first installment of the "Getting to Know the Standards for Excellence®” series: Mission, Strategy and Evaluation on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am.
This workshop provides an overview of the Standards for Excellence® with a specific focus on Mission, Strategy and Evaluation. Nonprofits are founded for the public good and operate to accomplish a stated purpose through specific program activities. A nonprofit should have a well-defined mission, and its programs should effectively and efficiently work toward achieving that mission. Nonprofits have an obligation to ensure program effectiveness and to devote the resources of the organization to achieving its stated purpose.
Topics covered include:
- Mission and Impact
- Planning Strategically
- Organizational Evaluation
- Program Evaluation
- Strategic Partnerships
Learning objectives for this session include:
- Provide an overview of the Standards for Excellence® and how they benefit nonprofits
- Learn best practices within specific functions (specifically regarding session 1: Mission, Strategy and Evaluation) to educate your staff and board regarding their roles and responsibilities to achieve excellence
- Assess your current practice within each functional area (specifically regarding session 1: Mission, Strategy and Evaluation) and identify practical and easily-implemented strategies to improve your operations
Executive Directors, Board Chairs, and emerging leaders are encouraged to attend all six sessions.
This particular session is appropriate for Executive Directors, Board Chairs, Program Committee Chairs, Program Directors, and any staff involved in the strategic planning process.